Tuesday, March 31, 2009

If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation. . .

The following is a letter from Pastor Nkumu, a graduate of Laban, a man of God, an enthusiastic preacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, who went to work with cannibals in a village not too far from Nkara, where our mission campus is located.

He writes:

"I give you warm greetings in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. I am Reverend Pastor Nkumu-Benjamin, an evangelist and overseer of 16 village churches. These villages were beginning to die out because of rampant, gross sin that was occurring there. They were eating people and eating a lot of them. In 1998, they killed a soldier in the night and ate him. Nobody even knew it.

They also killed a woman who came from Kinshasa. They cut her up into pieces and put her in a pot, but her head they put on the buffet. When her relative came looking for her, the state had already discovered that her murder had taken place, and sent ther arrested chief of the village and his accomplices to prison in Bulungu, the government center nearby. This took place in November of 2001.

Today I am teaching these people the Word of God, but the first time I went to evangelize, they put a knife to my throat and threatened to kill me. God did not want this to happen. They hid me in a house, and my life was spared. We didn't go there just to share the Gospel. We wanted to give them the whole counsel of God. Many of the youth and the women accepted Christ into their hearts; that is, 1,450 made professions of faith.

Finally, the chief has professed Christ. He said, 'If we had only known Jesus Christ before this happened, I would never have ended up in prison. Thank you so much, Pastor, that you came to evangelize us and that we have been saved.' In all truth, in everyone of these villages--some more wicked than others--men and women have been saved. In fact, there are no 2,762 who claim Christ as their savior.

I am filled with happiness to tell you that 5 men from this village who killed the woman from Kinshasa have now come to Laban Bible Institute. Four have graduated and are now pastors, and one is left to graduate next year.

However, this work has taken a toll on me. I have ridden my bike miles and miles and walked I don't know how many kilometers because some areas I go to are only accessible by foot. I have some kind of lung disease and have suffered malaria time and time again. My voice is worn out, and the doctor says I must take time off to recover.

Please pray for me. Thank you for the training I have received at Laban Bible Institute. God bless you and the family of Jim and Nancy Smith."

Thank you,

Pator Nkumu

No comments: