Monday, March 2, 2009

A Day To Remember

The Congolese people of Laban are very empathetic folk. Oftentimes struck by tragedy, including loved ones, they can say unequivocally, "We know just how you feel." When my mother died in 1994, upon our return, in order to "kabisa bampasi ya mono" or "divide and share my sorrow," they gave me a beautiful two-piece outfit. Again, after suffering the loss of two beautiful and precious grandchildren, they presented Jim and I with new clothes, sacrificially paid for by our staff. We donned our new attire on Friday for an official welcome and comforting ceremony. The Lord was esteemed and lifted high through singing and words of cheer of encouragement, followed by a meal. What a beautiful, cultural offering from their hearts to ours.

Another huge blessing fell on us that morning after breakfast with Pastor Viktor and Pastor Mboma. Pastor Mboma, who is director of Radio Glory, handed us an envelope, which contained his "dime" or tithe. He said, "This is a gift from me to you, our missionaries. I have never done this for you before, and want you to have it." We were overcome. It fills my eyes with tears as I ponder his more than generous gift of $27.31. We will use it joyfully for the reunion coming up. Please pray for that week of March 14-21st. Funding is still needed as we anticipate hundreds of returning Laban grads to the mission campus for both the weekly seminar and graduation.

I am rereading We Two Alone by Ruth Hagee, veteran missionary, who served at Mangungu, Congo. Her co-worker was slain with an arrow, shot through her jugular vein. Her stirring account of the Communistic-induced youth rebellion in 1964 in Congo moved me beyond words and causes me to drop to my knees in thanksgiving for such soldiers of the cross as Ruth Hagee and Irene Ferrel.

We covet your prayers. Thank you for standing with us.

No comments: