Monday, April 13, 2009

On the heavier and the lighter side of things. . .

I sit here amazed and flabbergasted by the recent two-month stay in Congo. It was so full of God. Tears stream down my face as I remember Him showing up time after time. It was more than His shadow, although that would have been all right. He is the boss. We must allow Him to call the shots, whether they be like piercing arrows that penetrate the darkness and visibly--even right in our face--win battles we cannot deny and provide in such a way we sense His delight. Or, whether it be struggling to rest in His wisdom and grace though we see the storm clouds gathering and even surrounding us, and we--like a weaned child--in that storm opt to cease from fretting because He doesn't feel near, even though our ears recollect that He promises to never leave us nor forsake us. Either way, we in those moments do best when we allow Him to be God. There is great freedom as He hedges us in when we decide to "be still and let be", rather than fretting which only leads to sin.

Today I miss our dear, dear partners in ministry, partners in death (they lose so many of their babies as well), partners in faith (they as well as my husband are giants in the faith), partners in plain old living--the good, the bad, and the ugly, partners in love (they drop everything and come running when we need them), partners in joyful exultation of our Lord Jesus Christ ) one never has to be hesitant to share the latest praise, whether it be the tasty crumbs falling from the table or jaw-dropping delicious accounts of His divine orchestration), partners in the pursuit of souls (they are fervent in their pursuit), partners in crime (especially Pastor Gary Kapinga who has imbibed our sense of humor and much of our culture) which oftentimes results in laughing from the gut together, and just the all around unity we have with most of our staff. With many there has been a history now of more than 30 years, and we are not just like family; we are family in a most wonderful way.

Today I am loving them from afar emotionally through what I feel for them. I will love them through my prayers, and I will love them through my efforts to fulfill my mission which in part is spelled out in Proverbs 31:8 and 9. . . "Open your mouth for those who are unable to speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are left desolate and defenseless; open your mouth, judge righteously, and administer justice for the poor and needy."

On April 30 we will gather with old and new friends at Crystal Gardens in Southgate, MI to update and encourage, rejoice and marvel together at God's amazing sustaining faithfulness of Laban Ministries. My head swirls as I think of what must take place between now and then to make that night a reality. Lord, please put it together. We are so frail and inadequate, but You can really make something of the evening. Please, God, strengthen what you have wrought for us. . .

However, in the meantime, I want to share with you the amazing phone call I had with Jim, my husband, yesterday, Easter Sunday. It was a delightful day here in Nashville. In fact, so balmy, I rocked with 3 of my beautiful grandchildren and son and daughter-in-law in the porch swing. Just before that, Jim called from Congo. The tone of his voice told me he was up to something fun and exciting. We do have fun in Congo, you know. It isn't all serious, life-threatening, tear jerking stuff.

Well, it seems they went on a hunt. But it was a hunt only to look. You know, like window shopping--just to look, not to buy. I say just to look because he owns no guns anymore. They were all stolen during the pillage of '97, even his big 300 savage was taken. He was so proud of that gun because with it he downed a hippo which had killed a missionary at Vanga in the mid 90's. Many of his childhood memories take him back to thrilling hunts with his marksman father, who brought home meat to put on not only his table, but on the tables of his national staff as well. Jim loves hunting, but without a gun, what can you do? Just look, I guess.

So after he and 5 of our staff evangelized at Mpene Nseke (about 18 miles from our home) they decided to do something fun and frivilous like. . . look for bambis or antelope. Off they went. The first phone call was to tell me they were really stuck. The second phone call reported they were unstuck. The third phone call is the best. They went to those same old naustalgic hunting grounds and guess what? They found lion tracks!!!

Yeah, that's right. A lion had wandered probably hundreds of miles from where they normally hang out into a farmer's plot of ground. His paw prints were so large and deeply imbedded in the soil that Jim guesses he must have weighed in excess of 400 lb. Now that's big for Congo. He had captured a goat for dinner and carried it off to enjoy the morsel, and the farmer thinks he will come back for more. They heard the roar. The hair on the back of my neck is standing up straight right now.

And then--of all things--they spotted a bambi. I wonder if that is where the name for the movie came from because that is the kituba word for antelope. How did Disney know? No bows and arrows. No guns. Just the sheer delight of actually seeing one again after so many years, as Todd said, gave Dad "his fire back."

Of all the things I think that could have topped this unique trip off like frosting on the cake, is the goose-bumping, thrill of adventuring, man thing in Congo to do of tromping out in the sheer, raw nature of Africa, so close to it as to hear the roar of a real live lion just like he did so many times in the night at Kajiji attending school as a young boy. That, back to back with spotting a bambi in the nseke or plains of Africa--well, what more could this incredible man ask for?

Lord, I just love it when you show your Hand in ways unique to us--our past, our personalities, our likes, even our whims. You have our names engraved in your heart and hands. You have the hairs of our heads numbered. You keep our tears in your book and in a bottle. You are writing a book of memories we have made together, keeping track of the praises we offer like incense to you. You know us with Psalm 139 knowing. I see your great sense of humor and delight in us and with us in ways that continue to amaze me and make me love you more cause you care about everything in our lives. I love you so much, Lord. I cannot tell you how much it makes me delight in You when I see you so intricately involved in our footsteps. Why does that always surprise me? When will I know you? Looking so forward to that day when I will truly know you even as I am known.

1 comment:

Mariah said...

Mr Smith!!! You know he went back with a pep in his step. How cute.

I love you guys!