Thursday, February 19, 2009

Is a change in the air?

Congo is ready for change. The last election promised that but has not as yet delivered. Today I went to exchange a check for American dollars from a former classmate of Shawn's when she attended TASOK (The American School of Kinshasa) here in the 80's. Was it really that long ago Shawn?

I asked him how he sees Congo today. He said that he expected some kind of impending explosion. The soldiers haven't been paid. When they are paid, they receive only a stipend, enough to appease them until they feel they can't take it any longer. Each night their children wait for them to come home with food or money for class. There is no such thing as free public education. It is public, but at a cost. With the average person making only $100 a year, each day holds its own fears, uncertanties, and dread. Will their kids go to bed hungry again tonight? Until a few years ago, teachers made about only $3 a month.

He told me that toward the end of March, there may be a new bill printed. Last month the treasury here was down to zero dollars. This month there is less in it than is needed to get by for one month. People have to be paid, so the answer must be to just print new money, a franc with a higher number. And, although the number on the franc will double, its value will be less than the present highest numbered franc. He said everything will double in price almost overnight.

At first, his words stunned me. But as I walked out the door, I recounted how many times we have been hearing these same words down through the years. "This situation can't go on; it can't last forever. Something is going to happen." But it has lasted much longer than any of us thought possible, that is the continuing of Congo.

When we first arrived in what was then known as Zaire in 1978, one of the first tidal waves of shocking news was that the government has just changed all their currency. That means that whatever money one had at home today would be of absolutely no value tomorrow. The only hope of redeeming that money was to run to the bank and have them buy it. However, if one had a great deal of money, the bank refused to exchange it or buy it, and that person was left literally holding the bag of worthless "Zaires" as it was called. In amounts so great that a house could be purchased or a new car, the mounds of "cash" became good for nothing more than starting a fire. So people jumped out of story buildings. They hanged themselves. They fell into the depths of despair not to return to what was their norm ever.

Psalm 18 came to mind. It's an incredibly powerful song about the Lord taking a stand when His children have been attacked ruthlessly their enemies. In this case, it was the Lord's beloved David. What hits me about this Psalm is that the Lord actually changes position when He has had enough of the onslaught of evil on his babies. I have noted this change of position over and over again in the Scriptures. Just think about it: the Lord will rise up at the right time, the succinct time--not a minute too soon or a minute too late which is only known to Him--and by the breath of His nostrils throw our enemies to flight, consuming their power and very presence by His zeal alone. It amazes me. It gives me goose bumps, and it is worth posting this dynamite section of the Word of God.

It gives me such hope for the people of Congo who love Him and pray through many nights, fast many days, and bow before Him in great fear and reverence. Take a minute and read it for yourself with me one more time beginning with verse 4 of Psalm 18:

"The cords or bands of death surrounded me, and the streams of ungodliness and the torrents of ruin terrified me.

The cords of Sheol (the place of the dead) surrounded me; the snares of death confronted and came upon me.

v 6 In my distres when seemingly closed in I called upon the Lord and cried to my God; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry came before Him into His very ears.

v 7 Then the earth quaked and rocked, the foundations also of the mountains trembled; they moved and were shaken because He was indignant and angry.

v 8 There went up smoke from His nostrils; and lightning out of His mouth devoured; coals were kindled by it.

v 9 He bowed the heavens also and came down, and thick darkness was under His feet.

v 10 And He rode upon a cherub and flew; yes, He sped on with the wings of the wind.

v 11 He made darkness His secret hiding place; as His pavillion round about Him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.

v 12 Out of the brightness before Him there broke forth through His thick clouds hailstones and coals of fire.

v 13 The Lord also thundered from the heavens, and the Mot High uttered His voice, amid hailstones and coals of fire.

v 14 And He sent out His arrows and scattered them; and He flashed forth lightnings and put them to rout.

v 15 Then the beds of the sea appeared and the foundations of the world were laid bare at Your rebuke. O Lord, at the blast of the breath of Your nostrils.

v 16 He reached from on high. He tooke me; He drew me out of many waters.

v 17 He delivered me from my strong enemy and from those who hated and abhorred me, for they were too strong for me.

v 18 They confronted me and came upon me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stay and support.

v 19 He brought me forth also into a large place; He was delivering me because He was pleased with me and delighted in me.

I love verse 19. Oh, God! You are going to bring your Congolese children forth into a large place; You are delivering them because You are please with them and delighted in them.

As I stated, this is not the first time of a threatening future for these people and others who work and minister here. So it may be nothing more than spoken fears and projected dread. But will you pray with us for a diffusing of any plans satan has to harm, kill, and destroy for whenever the changeover of currency may take place?

I leave with you two comforting portions of Scripture that so wells up in my spirit during a wanna be crossroads facing Congo. It is this:

When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift a standard against him and put him to flight; It will come like a rushing stream which the breath of the Lord drives.

and Isaiah 8:13,14

"The Lord of hosts--regard Him as holy and honor His holy name by regarding Him as your only hope of safety, and let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread, lest you offend Him by your fear of man and your distrust of Him.

And He shall be a sanctuary, a sacred and indestructible asylum to those who reverently fear and trust in Him."

We are leaving Kinshasa tomorrow. I won't be able to post as I have been posting. And though it will be wonderful to be back on the mission campus of Nkara, there is a degree of isolation. Part of that isolation is the fact that we have no internet access. Therefore, I will call our sweet Molly and dictate short updates for her to post or to send JCI Design in Dearborn to post for us. I am not sure how that will work.

Thank you for your prayers and support. I will miss blogging these updates so much, and I will yearn to read email. That is something we want to change by the next trip we make to Congo. And the Lord can do anything--even give us vital connection through the internet in the bush, 450 miles due east from here. nancy

3 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for the updates. I will be in prayer for you and for any changes that may be coming, for God to protect and comfort His people.
Susan

Mariah said...

we love you guys and are thinking about you. we pray for amazing things to happen in the next couple of months for laban and the people of congo. you will be missed and we'll see you soon.

***i'm glad you made it through the airport!!!***

mariah

karen44 said...

Lord God, Jehovah Jirah, You are the provider for Nancy and Jim and all Your workers at Nkara. I pray that You would bless their time in the coming weeks and months. Give them encouragement for what tomorrow might bring. You know what challenges they will face...give them courage and strength and wisdom to follow You with their whole hearts.

I pray for stability in the Congo currency; that You would stretch the dollars that are being brought to Your people by Jim and Nancy. Give them their daily bread, Father. Provide for their needs. And I pray that You would also provide for a few wants to encourage their hearts.

We thank You for Your provision and protection. May Your will be done.