Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Upcoming trip to Congo

Thoughts fill my mind these days of returning to Congo and the time we have remaining here in the States.

Thoughts, like when to go, how long to stay, how to juggle everything on the plate here, prepare for there, and pack in between, what to take, how much of it, what items are top priority. Just because we set up dates and route out a plan doesn't mean at all that it will actually happen that way. The Lord has the say so. He is the boss, and that's very fine with me.

Then there is the send off dinner on March 29, which points to the trip and is, in fact, a means to actually getting us off US soil and propelling us all the way to Congo. What will the crowd be like? How many will come? What effective ways can we notify people of our invitation to attend a very special evening in our eyes for free? How many phone calls will we need to make? As they peruse their options, will Laban take any residence in their hearts, in their schedules?

Torn feelings are also a reality. Leaving little 3 month-old Aliyah nags at me. Not seeing, touching, hugging, playing with, or discussing the wide age range issues and interests of all of our grands makes me sad. It is never easy for me to walk away from them, and I want them to know that. I want them to know they are of utmost importance in my life, in the life of their Nana Smith. Lord, please help me to convey this to them. You convey this to them.

Thoughts of evangelism at Masamanimba excite my soul. Another great opportunity to preach and teach the Word of God to souls hungering and thirsting spiritually make me want to jump on a plane today. Thoughts of going on the journey to this city are daunting. It is more than 200 AFRICAN miles away, which means a clipping speed of about 12 miles per hour. Getting stuck in sand or on rainy roads depending on the day tire my mind because I have been there before. Just getting there is very challenging. Preparation of food, packing of instruments, picking up the team at Iwungu, selecting students and staff out of a crew who are practically frothing at the mouth to be in on a crusade like this is not fun, and remembering each day as we close in on departure for that town to pray earnestly that God will go before us is absolutely necessary. We must include Him big time, else we bring down on ourselves a forfeiting of his protection, wisdom, and grace.

Two realities strike me now. They are realities I hopefully always come back to. They are my refuge and solace:

1. Unexplainable gratitude that we can even do what we do, see what we will see, and experience the blessing of God in a way that we don't necessarily see in America because the people in Congo are DESPERATE FOR GOD, and HE MEETS THEM WHERE THEY ARE. We in America are just as desperate for God, but we DON"T KNOW IT!!! So I get to be in on something absolutely amazing and breath taking spiritually and oftentimes physically.

2. Consistently passing by the throne of God all these thoughts and more that flash in my brain and spirit is the answer. They will not go unnoticed! For this the Lord returns peace. He garrisons my emotions and sensations of being overwhelmed like a sentinel, and I am reminded of a few verses that promise just that.

Isaiah 8:13, 14

"The Lord of hosts--regard Him as holy and honor His holy name by regarding Him as your only hope of safety, and let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread lest you offend Him by your fear of man and distrust of Him. And He shall be a sanctuary, a sacred and indestructible asylum to those who reverently fear and trust in Him. . . " Amp.

Then I remember one more reality. The absolute need for your prayers. Will you also join me in prayer for this undertaking? Jim and I so covet your prayers. They are power! They avail much! They are felt in Congo! They are a life line! They are priceless!

Thank you is just not enough, but it is all I can offer.

4 comments:

Rickie Holt said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Nancy. I'll be praying for you and your trip. The Lord will work out the details of who needs to be at the benefit dinner - don't you stress over that! Tim and I are looking forward to it. We appreciate the opportunity to give to this ministry. Thank you for including us. Love ya!

Gaylord said...

Thank you Nancy for doing this blog. I've been following, praying for and appreciating your work in Congo for a while now through your interesting newsletters, but just now stumbled onto your blog account ... interesting, the soul of a 'Missionary Heart'. I pray God's richest Blessings on Laban Staff, their efforts, and upon you and Jim, your children and "Grands". You're inspiring.

Congo Hope said...

Hey Rickie,

So glad you are coming to the send off dinner. We are eternally grateful for our brothers and sisters in America who back us in prayer and give so that we can go and so that people in Congo can hear and respond to the Gospel. Thank you for doing that. Heaven will reveal your untold worth.

Congo Hope said...

Hi Garylord,
Your response to this blog is deeply appreciated. We continue to be amazed at the privilege God has given us to work in Congo with a group of people who so desperate for Him. Thank you for your faithfulness to God's bidding as well. Thank you for placing confidence in these servants. Jim and Nancy Smith