Sunday, April 24, 2011

Kinshasa and my friends

Kinshasa is the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Recent road improvements are greatly appreciated, and more road work is in progress. Since we are so close to the equator, our days and nights are both an even 12 hours long, year long.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping. I remember the days when the only things on the shelves were tomatoe paste and flour. However, today many shops are available with a great variety of products. Josee Ibaya, a gal we have known for decades, works with Mission Aviation Fellowship and lent me her driver. We spent 3 hours going to two stores getting food and exchanging currency.

The lovely Grings family has provided an apartment just behind their house for us. Electricity is on again off again, and so we use a small generator to give us current when city lights don't come on.

As I sat with my missionary friends upon arrival and saw their sweet faces, I thanked God for women who stay with their call, who serve Jesus Christ in uncomfortable situations, who live with clothes half washed in the machine, food half baked in the oven, and lack of water when there is no current.

I love you guys. You reassured me it was no big deal. But I don't think God sees it that way at all. He sees your labor of love and the fact that remain faithful to Him. I am proud of you all and love you very much, and want to gently and lovingly remind you to keep on keeping on.

No comments: