Thursday, September 24, 2009

Police/Soldier's Wives

Each morning our staff meets in the room we call a chapel, which is the old Bible Institute building we used 30 years ago. Kade, a rather recent graduate of LBI, preaches each morning at 7:40 a.m. after the men and women sing songs of praise and inviet Jesus to be the center of our day. His strong, loud, admonishing tone can be heard from our front porch. Kade suffers from serious deafness which amazingly affects his speech only slightly.

After chapel, Pastor Hosea, whose left pupil is covered with an opaque scar, ran up to me and asked if I was going to see the mamas of the police/soldiers who serve our area. They live about two miles away. My first response was No. I didn't feel prepared. I would go next week. As quickly as I said that, I changed my mind. The women are a new group. Their husbands change locations every year or two. They are hungry to hear the Word of God. I decided to go.

I spoke out of Malachi 1 and explained how the deceptive, sick, blind and stolen animals the priests allowed the people to sacrifice to God made God very angry. I told them how serious it is to make a vow to God to give Him something that has cost us a great price, only to change horses in the middle of the stream, and offer that which has cost us little. Instead of a life consecrated to Him, a life spent in self-seeking, self-indulgence, self-gratification. Instead of transparency, a lying tongue, a proud look, a double-mindedness. Instead of singleness of mind and heart, duplicity.

We don't offer animal sacrifices anymore. The sacrifice the Lord is looking for from us is a contrite heart, the real deal, letting our "nay" be "nay" and our "yea" by "yea." On the way home, Pastor Hosea and Pastor Ezekiel begged me to consider traveling with them and Jim to Bulungu. A group of 150 police/soldiers and their wives equaling 120, are pleading for us to go and minister to them. I asked how long it would take. They said, "Well, when we walk there, it takes us a whole day."

They didn't see the tears flooding my heart for their incredible endurance. The tears for the price they are paying to serve Christ. The tears over them spending themselves in 90-100 degree temps so that JEsus can break through strongholds of an occupation of men who used to steal from innocent victims in order to put some food on the table for their families. You see, the government only pays them $10 a month, when and if they get paid. But these groups of men and women are changing under the ministry of pastors Ezekiel and Hosea.

I just sat there numbly, the perspiration dripping down my face and had to ask myself, "How much does my Christianity cost me?" Oh God, why do these pastors have to walk so far? They have worn out their bikes for Your sake. Why must they go on foot? Something is wrong with this picture. Why, Lord?" Once again, I have no answers. My trust is in You, God. Help them, please help me.

3 comments:

karen44 said...

Praying for you:
Col.1:9-12: ...since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

Praying for strength, encouragement and great blessing in the coming week.

Shawn said...

Mom and Dad,
I count it an incredible priviledge to be associated you by marriage. You are leaders showing us the way of God through your daily sacrifice and the pouring out of your lives to a people far away.

I pray that we may support your work in a greater and greater way for His glory.

Your loving son in Christ, Rob

Adam said...

What a humbling story. Sacrafice and Faith is so simple yet so difficult.